Blitz on racists
The Daily Star reports that Uefa will send observers to England’s Euro 2020 qualifier in Bulgaria in a bid to “blitz” racist abuse.
England travel to the Czech Republic on Friday before facing Bulgaria on Monday. In Sofia the Stadion Vasil Levski will be partially closed after Bulgaria were punished for fans’s behaviour in June.
It was reported yesterday that England players would “walk off” if they suffered any racist abuse.
The Star says that anti-racism group FARE will have three special match observers on duty in Sofia next Monday. They will have a link-up to the match delegate and fourth official.
Games off at Rugby World Cup
“Game off!” the Daily Mail reports as matches are abandoned for the first time in Rugby World Cup history.
Daily Mirror says the “tryphoon” has blown England’s plans off course. England’s final pool C match against France on Saturday has been cancelled along with New Zealand’s pool B clash against Italy.
The cancelled matches will be declared 0-0 draws and two points will be awarded to each team in line with tournament rules.
Friday 11 October
- Pool D: Australia vs. Georgia to be played as scheduled
Saturday 12 October
- Pool A: Ireland vs. Samoa to be played as scheduled
- Pool B: New Zealand vs. Italy to be cancelled
- Pool C: England vs. France to be cancelled
Sunday 13 October
- An assessment of venues will take place after the typhoon has passed before a final decision is made on Sunday morning
Today’s back newspaper pages