The Herald reported last month the Swans would open talks with Longmire to extend his contract later this year. It would be in keeping with the Swans’ practice of re-signing their long-serving coach before he enters the final season of his deal.
Fifteenth with three wins from 10 games, the Swans are long odds to make a 10th consecutive finals appearance this year.
The Swans have not missed the September action under Longmire, who took over for the 2011 season and who broke Paul Roos’ record for most games coached earlier this month.
Sydney, however, have invested heavily in youth with many of their younger players showing promising signs. They challenged leading premiership fancy Collingwood before losing by seven points on Friday night.
Swans chairman Andrew Pridham told the Herald earlier this month their faith in Longmire had not wavered despite their poor start to the season.
“My view would be he’d coach as long as he wants to and is enthusiastic about it,” Pridham said.
“You’d be hard pressed to find a better senior coach with the record he’s got. Nothing goes forever but if you look at world sport a lot of very successful clubs in world sport have a coach for a very long period of time. The trick is to refresh other aspects of program.
“You don’t have a fantastic CEO and say he’s been there X years and say he should go. If they’re really good you want them to stay.”
Swans chief executive Tom Harley was supremely confident Longmire would remain at the club despite the turmoil at North Melbourne.
“He is so invested in this footy club and we’re really fortunate to have a coach like John,” Harley said on the ABC after news of Scott’s departure broke.
“He’s got the most winning record of all current coaches and absolutely a massive part of our future going forward.
“I can’t see that happening [Longmire leaving].”
Andrew Wu writes on cricket and AFL for The Sydney Morning Herald