Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is blasting President Trump’s administration following a report that top White House aides have a plan to send as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East if Iran makes any aggressive move.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented the plan to national-security officials last week, and it envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Mideast should Iran attack American forces or accelerate its work on nuclear weapons, a New York Times story indicated late Monday.
Schumer denounced the development as “completely baffling and incredibly alarming.” He also offered the following warning, as he spoke on the Senate floor:
‘It seems that hard liners in the administration are pushing the conversation in a very dangerous direction, and I’m very concerned.’
When asked about the report on Tuesday, Trump told reporters it was “fake news” but also said he could send more than 120,000 troops.
“I think it’s fake news, OK?” the president said, according to an AP reporter’s tweet. “Now, would I do that? Absolutely. But we have not planned for that. Hopefully, we’re not going to have to plan for that, and if we did that we’d send a hell of a lot more troops than that.”
Meanwhile, Schumer raised a number of questions about the reported plan.
“The administration just began a maximum-pressure campaign of sanctions against Iran to squeeze its economy. Doesn’t it make sense to see if your policy is working before preparing for potential troop deployments, particularly in such large numbers?” he asked.
The Democratic lawmaker from New York also said: “Six months ago, the president was trying to pull U.S. forces out of the Middle East entirely against the advice of many in our defense and diplomatic communities. Now his national-security team is reviewing plans for war?”
Want news about Asia delivered to your inbox? Subscribe to MarketWatch’s free Asia Daily newsletter. Sign up here.