Mr Jones was re-signed in late-May on a two year contract after months of negotiations, with Macquarie chairman Russell Tate saying in a statement that “all of us at Macquarie are delighted that we will continue along with the ride with one of Australian media’s most outstanding performers”.
In an open letter to about 600 staff members on Friday, Mr Lang slammed the story as “a farcical construction of false claims, inaccuracies and unverified assertions that slander me and this company in such a way that I cannot let it pass without comment”.
“Legal action is also under way,” he said.
Smiling often. Assassin never. I will keep smiling and genuinely hope you can too.
Macquarie Media CEO Adam Lang
He further warned staff against anonymously spreading “falsehoods” that could damage the brand, cause distress among staff and audience members and “unsettle our clients” as the article cited 2GB insiders.
Macquarie lowered its business performance expectations in May for the year down from full-year earnings (before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) between $29 million and $32 million to between $27 million and $29 million.
The afternoon show on 2GB and Brisbane’s 4BC was recently reshuffled, with Chris Smith leaving and night show host Steve Price taking over in an effort to bring in younger and more diverse audiences.
“To be consistent with our values of being accountable and unified, and to provide a forum where we can support each other as well as the business in which we work, I invite you to raise any concerns you may have, so they can be addressed in person, with real facts – not fiction, assumptions or gossip,” Mr Lang said in the staff email.
“Smiling often. Assassin never. I will keep smiling and genuinely hope you can too.”
Mr Lang and News Corp declined to comment.
Earlier this year, the Telegraph was forced to apologise to Nine’s breakfast TV host Georgie Gardner after claiming the presenter had received negative reviews from focus groups.