The CFL on Wednesday announced it has come to terms with the players’ association on a new collective agreement, subject to approval by the league’s board of governors and a ratification vote by the players.
The board will conduct a meeting later today at which they are expected to vote on approving the new deal.
Getting the reported multi-year agreement ratified by the players, though, will take longer because the union must first present it to team representatives, which will happen Wednesday, before it’s forwarded to the players.
The fact talks continued into this week was viewed as a positive sign after union executive director Brian Ramsay painted a rather negative picture regarding the state of negotiations last week.
2014 labour talks were heated
The CFL faces a threat of a partial strike at the start of training camp should the tentative deal not receive approval or isn’t ratified by the players, member of the Canadian Football League Players Association (CFLPA).
Players on CFL teams in Alberta (Edmonton and Calgary) and Ontario (Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton) have been told to report to the start of camp because Ramsay said they won’t be in a legal strike position until May 23, the date the union would be in a position to orchestrate a full work stoppage.
Contract talks in 2014 between the CFL and CFLPA were testy. Negotiations broke down several times, and there was even a threat of a strike before players ultimately reported to camp and both sides hammered out a five-year agreement.
CFL players have gone on strike once, in 1974, but the situation was settled prior to the start of the regular season.